St Laurence's Church Old Town Hall The Shambles The Cross Subscription Rooms Bedford Street Congregational Chapel Sims' Clock Police Station School of Science & Art Lansdown Brickrow Railway Station Stroud House Royal George Hotel Imperial Hotel British School
GRO Stroud House IMG 1636
What: Historical town building
Where: GL5 3AN    Russell Street
Then: Built as the Holloway Institute in 1894-96.  This was originally the home to the Conservative Club
Now: It is now used for a variety of commercial enterprises.

The Holloway Institute, was named after George Holloway, MP for Stroud in 1886-92, whose statue is on the side of the building facing Rowcroft. It is a three-storey stone building with curved corners. It was extended at the back in 1934.

The conservative club later moved to George St. and is now in London Road.

During the second world war it housed a Red Cross headquarters.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW