St Laurence's Church Old Town Hall The Shambles The Cross Subscription Rooms Bedford Street Congregational Chapel Sims' Clock Police Station School of Science & Art Lansdown Brickrow Railway Station Stroud House Royal George Hotel Imperial Hotel British School
HB Old Town Hall by kind permission of Howard Beard
What: Historic Town building built in 1594
Where: GL5 1AP    In The Shambles
Then: This was originally a free standing market house in the middle of an open market place
Now: The old town hall still has rooms on the upper floors, which are let out to local agencies and interest groups

The Old Town Hall was built as a market house around 1594 by John Throckmorton, lord of the manor of Over Lypiatt. It was originally free-standing in the middle of an open market place that has since been encroached on, and it is thought at first to have had an open arcaded ground floor.

A battlemented Tudor-style extension was added in 1851 to the design of Francis Niblett, to provide accommodation for the County Court. In 1865, the upper storeys were altered, probably by William Clissold. The castellated Victorian Gothic staircase towers were added at this time.

The upper floors were used for many purposes. At one time they were let to a clothier, and later, the first floor was the home of the Red Boys School. In 1816, the school moved upstairs to allow the first floor to be used as the magistrates' court.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW