St Laurence's Church Old Town Hall The Shambles The Cross Subscription Rooms Bedford Street Congregational Chapel Sims' Clock Police Station School of Science & Art Lansdown Brickrow Railway Station Stroud House Royal George Hotel Imperial Hotel British School
GRO Railway Station IMG 1359
What: Historical buildings
Where: Station Road
Then: Opened in 1845, built to the designs of Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Now: The station was rebuilt in 1914. The Goods shed nearby remains intact as a listed building

The railway came to Stroud in 1845. It was broad gauge until 1872 when the timber viaducts began to be changed for brick ones.

Construction of the railway involved the demolition of two houses at the bottom of Rowcroft and the lowering of the road so that traffic could get under the railway bridge. Bath Place was cut off from the town centre, and thereafter failed to develop as a residential area.

In 1885, Stroud was connected by a branch line to the Midland Railway line at Dudbridge. The Midland station was just below the GWR station, across the canal. The line was closed in 1966.

In 1914, the GWR station was rebuilt, and the timber platform awnings were added.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW