St Laurence's Church Old Town Hall The Shambles The Cross Subscription Rooms Bedford Street Congregational Chapel Sims' Clock Police Station School of Science & Art Lansdown Brickrow Railway Station Stroud House Royal George Hotel Imperial Hotel British School
HB Lansdown by kind permission of Howard Beard
What: Historical town area
Where: GL5 1BL   Lansdown Road
Then: One of Stroud’s newer streets, Lansdown became a public road in 1857 and acquired some notable Victorian buildings.
Now: The old library is now a Spiritualist Church.  The Temperance Hall is now Lansdown Hall and Gallery

The old Library in Lansdown was built in 1873 to house the Stroud Grammar School, founded two years earlier by the Rev. A.J. Edmond, curate at the parish church. In 1878, the school closed, to reopen shortly afterwards as the Borough School, forerunner of Marling School.

In 1888, the building was bought by the local clothier, J. Strachan, who gave it to the town as a free library. In 1967-68, a new library was built by the County Council on the neighbouring site of the former vicarage.

Next to the old library is the Temperance Hall. The Borough School occupied the building between 1888 and 1891. After it closed, the Misses Howard established a High School for Girls here, which lasted until the turn of the century.  The building then became the Stroud Christian Scientist Church. The Cowle Museum’s industrial displays moved to Lansdown Hall from 1986 to 1993. Later it was purchased by Stroud Commonwealth and became "The Space". It is now Lansdown Hall and Gallery - a community centre owned by Stroud Town Council.

Opposite is the eyecatching home to Stroud's weekly newspaper - The Stroud News and Journal.

31-32 Lansdown was built as a synogogue to serve Stroud's Jewish community. It was designed by J.P. Lofthouse, 1889. It is now private housing.

The building opposite, which is now eco-flats, started life as a Unitarian Chapel, and has since housed a cinema and a dancing school.

More information -  SLHS website Stroud Library

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW