St Laurence's Church Old Town Hall The Shambles The Cross Subscription Rooms Bedford Street Congregational Chapel Sims' Clock Police Station School of Science & Art Lansdown Brickrow Railway Station Stroud House Royal George Hotel Imperial Hotel British School
Royal George Hotel, by kind permission of Howard Beard
What: Historical building (site of )
Where: GL5 3BX   Junction of King Street and George Street
Then: Stroud's leading coaching Inn during the coaching age
Now: Rebuilt in the 1920s, it is now home to several shops

The Royal George Hotel, with its imposing coat of arms above the door, stood at the junction of King St. with George St. It was built (as the Kings Arms) in 1801, on land belonging to Thomas Gardner. In 1818, it was bought by Thomas Wall, who had previously owned the George Inn in Swan Lane. He changed the name to the Royal George, a sign that was retained until 1916, when the hotel closed.

The first floor was then converted into a cinema, The Picture House, which opened in 1917.The original building was demolished, and replaced by the present Art Deco building for Burtons clothing store, later Hepworths. 

The upper floor was at one time a snooker hall, and the ground floor has been occupied by a variety of shops over the years.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW

Revised 2018 EMW