Roman Catholic Church & Convent Bus Station Rowcroft Medical Centre Beeches Green Health Centre McDonalds St Rose's School The Hill Badbrook House Badbrook Mill
Badbrook Mill with kind permission of Howard Beard
What: Badbrook Mill (site of)
Where: GL5 1RR    Merrywalks
Then: Badbrook Mill was here in 1671 and was demolished in 1960
Now: Multi-storey car park

Badbrook Mill was a cloth mill until around 1920. Later it became a corn mill and then  a timber business. In 1794 it was owned by Thomas Holbrow of Badbrook House who also owned the dyehouses above the mill. After a fire in 1898 the buildings were patched up and used for a variety of commercial purposes.

Behind the mill stood the millowner’s house and the short-lived Ritz Cinema (1939-61) on the site of the old George Hotel coaching yard.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW