Roman Catholic Church & Convent Bus Station Rowcroft Medical Centre Beeches Green Health Centre McDonalds St Rose's School The Hill Badbrook House Badbrook Mill

Badbrook House by kind permission of Howard Beard

What: Badbrook House, a gentleman's residence (site of)
Where: GL5 4AD   Merrywalks/Beeches Green corner
Then: Built in 1794 for Thomas Holbrow - a mill and dyehouse owner
Now: Demolished in 1967 for road widening, its front garden lies under the road.

Holbrow died in 1833 and Badbrook House eventually passed to Walter Stanton. It was subsequently let to, among others, John Garlick Ball the Stroud coroner, George Holloway, Alfred S Cooke, a well-known Stroud surgeon, and another doctor, Samuel Boake. In 1910, the nuns at the Convent above bought it for the St Rose’s School for physically handicapped girls. They moved the school to Cooper’s Hill, a nearby house, in around 1957. Badbrook House was divided into flats and let until 1967.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW