Reputation The Role of Clothiers Cloth Preparation Decline Ebley Mill Lodgemore Mill

In the 1800s, Ebley Mill had become one of the largest woollen cloth mills in Stroud.  It is now used as offices for Stroud District Council.

From as early as the 1500s, there was a fulling mill and grist mill recorded at Ebley. During the 1500s and early 1600s, the Bennett family owned the mill. Thomas Bennett built Ebley Court in 1598.  By 1621, the mill had passed into the Selwyn family who leased it to members of the Turner family until 1788, when Thomas Turner became bankrupt.

In 1800, the mill on the north side of the Stroudwater canal, was acquired by Stephen Clissold, who built a large mill on the south side of the canal between 1818 and 1820. This now forms the long block of the Council offices.  The mill was leased by John Figgins Marling in the early 1820s, and later bought by Thomas and Samuel Stephens Marling in 1840. In the 1870s, 800 people were employed in the mill.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

CM 2113 Ebley Mill trade card
SM 2194 Ebley Mill c1850
GRO Ebley Mill today 02