Upper Ganicox Lower Gannicox Dirleton House Far Hill Hill Paul Wallbridge House/Wallbridge Mill Lodgemore Mill Stroud Brewery/Stroud & Swindon Building Society Canal Company Agent's House Fromehall Mills Gas Works
Click to Enlarge
SM Fromehall Mills print
What: Historic building and site
Where: GE5 3EH    Frome Hall Lane
Then: First recorded in 1608, the mill was linked to cloth production
Now: Several enterprises have set up in the mill buildings. 

Fromehall Mill  belonged to the Halliday family throughout the 17th century. It changed hands frequently in the 18th and early 19th centuries, being worked at different times by the Marlings and the Apperlys. In 1846, it was bought by William Hunt and thereafter it was worked with Lodgemore Mill.

The large mill pond is immediately west of Lodgemore Mill. The four-storey main building, built of stone and eight bays long, was built c.1853. Part of the 18th century mill survives as a four-storey wing at the rear. A late 19th century addition is probably the Yarn Store of 1898 by W.H.C. Fisher.

The mill owner's house, Frome Hall, which stood above the site, was 17th century in origin, but was refitted and improved in the mid 18th century. A generation later, a new west block was built containing an entrance hall and the main reception rooms.  Both have now been demolished, though the coach-house still stands.  There are several smaller properties on the site.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW