Upper Ganicox Lower Gannicox Dirleton House Far Hill Hill Paul Wallbridge House/Wallbridge Mill Lodgemore Mill Stroud Brewery/Stroud & Swindon Building Society Canal Company Agent's House Fromehall Mills Gas Works
CM 3177 Stroud Brewery Offices - copyright unknown
What: Historic building
Where: The junction of Merrywalks and Cainscross Road.
Then: Stroud Brewery with its tall chimney stood on this corner from 1888 to the 1970s and is well remembered.

The buildings were replaced with the new Headquarters of the Stroud and Swindon Building Society.  Ecotricity moved here in 2012.

A malthouse survives  just beyond the viaduct in Merrywalks.

Stroud Brewery was established at the end of the 18th century by Peter Leversage of Middle Lypiatt. He was later joined in the business by Joseph Grazebrook and Henry Burgh.

Joseph Watts of Stratford Park owned and ran the brewery for 36 years from 1819, and left it to his grandson, Joseph Watts Hallewell. He formed a partnership which traded as Watts Hallewell, Biddell and Stanton, and it became one of the largest breweries in the county.

In 1888, the firm became a limited company, and the firm's offices were built the following year at the junction of Merrywalks and Cainscross Road. Most of the other small breweries around Stroud were absorbed into Stroud Brewery, and it also bought up or built a large number of tied pubs in the Stroud area.

After merger with Cheltenham Brewery the firm was taken over by Whitbreads in 1962. They ceased production at Stroud Brewery in 1967.  The buildings were demolished in the 1970s.

. Designed by Richard Ladenburgh of Cirencester, the new building is built of brick and stone in a post-Modern style, with towers flanking a small entrance courtyard. This is now Ecotricity's Lion House.

The malthouse in Merrywalks was Splash nightclub in 2003, and in 2016 is an Italian restaurant.  

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW