The Grove/Hawkwood College Salmons Spring Mill & Brewery All Saints Church New Mills The Birches The Granges All Saints Centre Park Gardens Uplands House Old Police Station Little & Slad Mills Hawthorn Cottage
What: Three historical houses, Upper, Lower and West Granges
Where: Upper (GL5 1SB)  and West Grange (GL5 1XB) are on Lovedays Mead.  Lower Grange (GL5 1SB) was on Folly Lane.
Then: Upper Grange is the oldest house, dating from the 18th century.  Lower Grange was built in the early 1800s.  West Grange was built in 1866.
Now: The land surrounding Upper and West Granges, which are still there, has been developed for housing.   Lower Grange was demolished and replaced by new houses in c1988.

Henry Burgh lived at Upper Grange around 1800 and then it was enlarged and improved for Rowles Scudamore, who died in 1829. It was home to a succession of professional men until and after the 1850s, when it became a private school run by Mr. J. Sibtree, who moved his school to Bussage House in 1866. In the 20th century it was the home of Sir Harry Waters, chairman of the Stroud UDC.

Lower Grange was built for Henry Burgh, a prominent solicitor in Stroud at the end of the 18th and the beginning of the 19th century. Then it was the home of solicitors: Mr John Saunders, then George Wathen from 1804 until his death in 1847. Charles Goddard the surgeon was there for a while after he had been at Willow House (he left in 1861). Joseph Timbrell Fisher was there in the 1870s and 1880s, followed by George Godsell in 1887. In the 20th century it was for some years an infants’ school. In 1937 houses were built in the grounds on both sides of Folly Lane.

West Grange was built in 1866 by Benjamin Bucknell for Charles Wethered, and has the stone gutters and grouped chimneys characteristic of Bucknell's work. It was altered in 1899 by P.R. Morley Horder. William Peacey live there in the early 20th century, and later it was the home of Ben Ford, a collector of horse-drawn carriages, who established a riding school and museum in the grounds. Housing was built in the grounds in the 1980s.

Revised 2018 EMW, 2021 PS

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society