The Grove/Hawkwood College Salmons Spring Mill & Brewery All Saints Church New Mills The Birches The Granges All Saints Centre Park Gardens Uplands House Old Police Station Little & Slad Mills Hawthorn Cottage
Uplands House by kind permission of Howard Beard
What: Large house (site of)
Where: GL5 1TH On the north side of Slad Road, after Park Gardens
Then: A gentelman's residence with extensive grounds reacing to Folly Lane
Now: The Uplands Co-housing Development

Uplands House dated from the 17th century and belonged to the Hogg family until 1859. It was originally called Stroudend House or Saunders. From 1860, its land fronting Slad Road was sold for building, and in 1866, it was bought by John Sutton, a cloth merchant, who rebuilt it and sold off nearly all of its higher land in building lots to form the Uplands residential area.

Around the early 1900s it was briefly a ladies’ boarding school, and was then lived in by a succession of doctors, H.W. Whitley, Dr. C.N. Royal and Dr. Lamb, until the 1960s. The house then fell into disrepair, was vandalised, and finally destroyed by arson around 2000.

The Uplands Co-housing group of about 35 houses was completed in 2004.

Revised 2018 EMW

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society