The Grove/Hawkwood College Salmons Spring Mill & Brewery All Saints Church New Mills The Birches The Granges All Saints Centre Park Gardens Uplands House Old Police Station Little & Slad Mills Hawthorn Cottage
SH Hawthorn Cottage by kind permission of Sue Harrison
What: An old ornate cottage
Where: GL5 1RE   Slad Road
Then: Built in 1800, just after the Slad road opened.
Now: A private house

Hawthorn Cottage was owned by John Partridge and rented out in the early 19th century. In the 1860s, the tenant, Rev Thomas Wintle, offered a building near his home as a temporary meeting place while Stroud parish church was rebuilt.

An 1870s auction advertisement mentioned a former schoolroom which went with the house.

Its occupants included John Garlick Ball the Stroud coroner, who retired there in the 1860s, and Arthur Fawkes of the Stroud firm Fawkes & Co in the 1920s.

In the 1930s, it became the Hawthorns School, where Ethel and Winnie Tayloe taught between ten and twenty children aged 5-8 in a very dark room at the back of the house. The sisters closed the school during the war.

In the 1980s and 1990s, the building became first the Ivy Restaurant and then, under different owners, the Oak Restaurant. It is now a private house.

Revised 2018 EMW

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society