Thrupp House The Thrupp Griffin's Mill Stafford's Mill Brimscombe Court Ham Mill Phoenix Iron Works
GRO Aerial photograph The Thrupp
What: 18th century three-storey stone house
Where: GL5 2ER   South side of Thrupp Lane
Then: Originally part of the Griffin Mill estate
Now: Converted to apartments

The Thrupp is a three-storey stone house found on the south side of Thrupp Lane. In 1740, it belonged to the Griffins Mill estate, but it was sold to John Partridge of Bowbridge in 1794. His son Thomas sold it in 1807 to William Stanton of Stafford's Mill, who evidently rebuilt the house as a three-storey ashlar building.

William Stanton died in 1841 and was succeeded as owner by his eldest son, William Henry Stanton, who was MP for Stroud, 1841-52.


From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW