Thrupp House The Thrupp Griffin's Mill Stafford's Mill Brimscombe Court Ham Mill Phoenix Iron Works
GRO Griffin's Mill IMG 1695
What: Historic Mill Site
Where: GL5 2AZ   On the London Road (A419)
Then: The mill was first a cloth mill, then a saw mill, then used for making umbrella sticks
Now: Three late 19th century brick buildings occupied by Bailey Paints, a fitness centre, art and antiques emporium.

Griffin's Mill takes its name from the family which owned it for at least two centuries, between 1599 (when it is first recorded) and about 1799.

Until c.1838, cloth was manufactured at the mill. It was then converted into a saw mill and by 1856 part of the site had been converted to the production of umbrella sticks by the Hooper family. This continued until at least 1935. Another part of the mill was occupied by Tylers Ltd., cabinet makers, who remained there until 1956 or later.


From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW