Rodborough Fort Rodborough Tabernacle Spillmans Court Rodborough Church/Endowed School Stanfields Stringers Court Lightpill Daniels DIY Superstore Rodborough Court Woodhouse Butterrow
GRO Stringers Court IMG 2607
What: Historic building
Where: GL5 3RBĀ  Located on Kingscourt Lane
Named for Michael Stringer who bought the house in 1628. In the 19th Century, it became part of the Apperly's Rodborough Court estate and in 1918, was bought by the Daniels family
Now: Daniels' descendants still own the farm today, although the house has been sold

Stringers Court was the centre of one of small estates at Rodborough in the Middle Ages. Its history can be traced at least from c.1300, when it was held of Caen Abbey's manor of Minchinhampton, by the service of carrying the profits of the manor to Southampton (for export to the abbey in Normandy).

The property takes its name from Michael Stringer, who bought it in 1628. Philip Wathen occupied the house in 1804 and 1839. Later in the 19th century, it became part of the Rodborough Court estate held by the Apperly family, and was let to the architect V.A. Lawson. After the death of Sir Alfred Apperly, the house was sold in about 1918 to the Daniels family, and Mr. J. Daniels was the owner in 1973.

The present house began as a long 17th century gabled house, built of rubble stone with mullioned windows. This was extended in the 18th and 19th centuries, and extensively refitted for the Daniels family c.1920.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW