Rodborough Fort Rodborough Tabernacle Spillmans Court Rodborough Church/Endowed School Stanfields Stringers Court Lightpill Daniels DIY Superstore Rodborough Court Woodhouse Butterrow
GRO Rodborough Tabernacle IMG 2604
What: Historic chapel building
Where: GL5 3UJ  Located between Kingscourt Lane and Walkley Hill on Tabernacle Walk

The Tabernacle was built as an independent nonconformist place of worship in 1749.


Rodborough Tabernacle serves the community and the church rooms are widely used by community groups

On Sunday, 1 July 1739, George Whitefield preached at Whitefield's Tump on Minchinhampton Common. A young man called Thomas Adams who was in the crowd was so moved that he gave land to build the Tabernacle as an independent nonconformist place of worship in 1749.

The central three bays of the north front of the Tabernacle were built in 1750. This original building was extended in 1836-37 by Charles Baker, to form the present large two-storey, seven bay chapel. The entrance is on the west end, and has Tuscan columns forming a portico between projecting staircase wings. The staircases lead to a gallery which goes round all four sides of the chapel.

The seating was renewed in 1871, but the organ case, pulpit and chancel fittings were designed by Peter Falconer in 1932 and carved by Peter Waals, the Arts & Crafts craftsman from Sapperton.

The Tabernacle became an important and successful congregation, and people walked for miles to attend services here. Since Jehoida Brewer was appointed Minister in 1778, there have been 24 ministers, the longest-serving of whom was Rev. Charles Ernest Watson (1909-42), who was also a leading local historian.

The nearby Little Chapel, converted from the former coach house and stables in 1925 by Sidney Barnsley, again has splendid woodwork by Peter Waals and stained glass by Henry and Edward Payne of 1936 and 1947.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW