Tricorn House Cainscross & Ebley Co-op Cainscross Toll House Cainscross Brewery St Matthew's Church Fire & Ambulance Stations Cainscross House Marling School Stroud High School for Girls Cashes Green Hospital The Vicarage
HB Stroud High School for Girls by kind permission of Howard Beard
What: Edwardian girls' school
Where: GL5 4HT    Beard's Lane, near Marling School
Then: First opened as the Girls' Endowed School in a room at the School of Science and Art in Lansdown. 
Now: Stroud High School website:

The Girls' High School originated as the Girls' Endowed School, which was opened in 1904 in a room at the School of Science and Art in Lansdown. The first headmistress was Miss D.M. Beale, a niece of the famous Principal of Cheltenham Ladies' College.

By 1907, there were 70-80 pupils, and in 1912, the school moved to new buildings in Beard's Lane, close to Marling School. The site had previously been used for a Boys' Craft School, built in 1909-10, and these buildings are now part of the school. The new High School buildings were designed in a neo-Georgian style, and built in brick with local stone dressings, by the County Council's architect, R.S. Phillips. They are perhaps his most successful designs.

The hall building was added to the west of the original block in 1939, and a Postmodern science block was added in 1993, to designs by Dancey & Meredith. In 1971, the school had 800 pupils.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW