Tricorn House Cainscross & Ebley Co-op Cainscross Toll House Cainscross Brewery St Matthew's Church Fire & Ambulance Stations Cainscross House Marling School Stroud High School for Girls Cashes Green Hospital The Vicarage
GRO Fire Station MG2574
What: Control HQs for the County Ambulance Service and Fire Station
Where: GL5 4JN   On Paganhill Lane
Then: The site is near where the Brewery was.
Now: Opened in 1964 and still in use

The Fire & Ambulance stations were opened in 1964, by the Chairman of the County Council, Col. G.P. Shakerley. The station was built as the control headquarters for the County Ambulance Service and cost £18,000.

The first record of an ambulance service in Stroud was in 1912, when the Town Council turned down an offer of a horse-drawn ambulance in favour of the existing hand-drawn ambulance. After World War One, Stroud had an ex-Army ambulance which was kept in the Shambles, after the voluntary Fire Brigade had moved to a new station in Lansdown.

The fire station in Paganhill was built in 1963. A giant crane was used to lower into position the all-steel drill tower, which is more than 50 feet high. This was the first time in the UK that a drill tower had been built in one piece.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW