Hope Mill Brimscombe Mill Brimscombe Port Port Mill Bourne Mill (1) Dark Mill Brimscombe Polytechnic Brimscombe House Gussage Mill Lewiston Mill Bourne Mill (2)
GRO Port Mill IMG 2423
What: Historic building
Where: GL5 2QQ    Next to Brimscombe Port

Port Mill has been a grist mill and a textile mill. It later became a textile mill.

Now: Today the renovated mill building is occupied by The History Press

Port Mill took its name from the Brimscombe Port basin dug immediately to the east of it in the 1780s, although it is thought to be the mill recorded in 1744, as Field's Mill. In 1786, the mill was acquired by the Thames & Severn Canal Company, and in 1804, it was acting as a grist mill.  In 1815, when the property was sold to the Lewis family of Brimscombe Mill, it consisted of a newly-erected house and corn mill.

By the mid 19th century, it had been converted to the production of cloth. In 1863, James Ferrabee moved to Port Mill from the Pheonix Ironworks at Thrupp. In 1870, he was manufacturing cloth there. In 1872, the mill was sold to what became the Marling & Evans group, and it remained in cloth production until the 1930s.

From 1949, the mill was occupied by Bensons International Systems Ltd, makers of loose-leaf ledger equipment, who employed 200 people here in 1962. In 1970, Bensons built a large new factory on the north side of the former canal basin. The fine four-storey mill building dates from the late 19th century, while to the east is a small 18th century two-storey salt store. 

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW