Upfield Field Place Maypole Archway School Anti-Slavery Arch Farmhill Park Farmhill House Puckshole Mill Paganhill Mill
GRO Anti-Slavery Arch IMG 1301
What: Local memorial erected in 1834
Where: GL5 4BT  at the junction of Farm Hill Lane and the Paganhill Estate
Then: Built by staunch abolitionist, Henry Wyatt (who owned Farmhill Park) to commemorate the abolition of Slavery
Now: Restored in 1960/1 and again in 2001, when a book "Stroud versus Slavery" was published to commemorate Stroud's part in the campaign

The arch was erected in 1834, as a gateway at the end of the drive to Farmhill Park. On the side of the archway visible from the road is inscribed "erected to commemorate the abolition of slavery in the British Colonies the first of August AD MDCCCXXXIV". The staunch abolitionist Henry Wyatt, who owned Farmhill Park, erected the arch. It survived the demolition of the house (although it was threatened with demolition in 1959.)Due to its particular historic interest, in 2007 the monument was upgraded from a Grade II listing to Grade II*.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW