Bowbridge House Chestnut House Bowbridge Mill Arundell's Mill Field House The Field Park House Eagle Mill Newcombe's Mill Capel's Mill
WM Newcombe's Mill cir 1906 by kind permission of Wilf Merrett
What: Historic Mill Site
Where: GL5 2DA   Depot by Gunhouse Lane off the A419
Then: Originally a Leather and Grist Mill in 1692. 
Now: The site is now used by Stagecoach plc as a bus garage

Newcombe's Mill was built in 1692 by Thomas Gardner, millwright. During the 18th century, it acted as a grist and leather mill. Shortly before 1804, it was rebuilt as a cloth mill by Thomas Newcombe. It was renamed Sandys’ Mill in the 1853 when occupied by a family of that name. Apart from a brief period around 1901 when it was an ironworks, it remained in the cloth trade.

In 1922 it was occupied by woollen merchants Apperley, Bidlake and Co.

It was occupied by the Cotswold Upholstery Company in 1939, but soon after practically destroyed by fire.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW