Bowbridge House Chestnut House Bowbridge Mill Arundell's Mill Field House The Field Park House Eagle Mill Newcombe's Mill Capel's Mill
What: Historic Mill Site
Where: GL5 2AB   Under the railway viaduct opposite Waitrose
Then: The mill can be dated back to 1489.

The site has been used for the restoration of the stretch of the Thames and Severn Canal which was lost when the bypass was constructed.

There were mill buildings either side of the railway viaduct, and there is a small former office or warehouse still to be seen in a railway arch.

The mill converted to a flock mill in or around the 1840s, and was known in the 1880s for the dyeworks - Stroudwater Works.

Nearby was the large Brick House, which was home to the Capel family. This was demolished in 1964. Part of its grounds were used as a bus depot from the 1920s. Waitrose now occupies its site of the house.



From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW