Bowbridge House Chestnut House Bowbridge Mill Arundell's Mill Field House The Field Park House Eagle Mill Newcombe's Mill Capel's Mill
HB Arundell's Mill by kind permission of Howard Beard
What: Historic buildings and site 
Where: GL5 2AE   Below the A419 London road, opposite Spring Lane
Then: Probably the site of Textile and Corn Mills since 1585. The name comes from the family who owned them in the 17th & 18th Centuries
Now: Used as a Coal yard in the 1970s, the existing mill house and cottages were restored by the Stroud Preservation Trust and are now privately owned. The mill pond has become a wildlife area

Arundell's Mill is believed to have comprised two fulling mills and a corn mill. In 1653, the site included two fulling mills, a gig mill, a corn mill and a dyehouse.

The complex appears to have continued to manufacture cloth into the mid 19th century, when four power looms installed in 1837 were in use. It then appears to have been used as a dyehouse until the early 1930s.

By 1971, the main mill buildings had been demolished and the site was in use as a coalyard.  

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW