The Cemetery The Castle Union Workhouse General Hospital Holy Trinity Church St Alban's Church Black Boy School Cotswold Playhouse Wesley Chapel/Salvation Army Old Meeting Chapel
HB Holy Trinity Church by kind permission of Howard Beard
What: Church c1839
Where: GL5 2HY  Trinity Road
Then: Stroud's second Anglican church was built with the financial help of the "Incorporated Society for Building and Enlarging Churches." 
Now: Still operational

Stroud's second Anglican church was begun on 15 October 1839, when William Stanton of The Thrupp laid the foundation stone. The church was designed by Thomas Foster of Bristol in an early Gothic style, and has been relatively little changed. It was restored in 1882-83, by W.H.C. Fisher, who also built the brick parish rooms in Field Road in 1884.

It was a chapel of ease to St. Laurence's until 1879, when a parish was assigned that stretched from Stroud Hill to Thrupp.

It was partially funded by the Church Building Commissioners, who were established by an Act of Parliament to build new churches in industrial areas where there were insufficient Church of England buildings to accommodate the population. It was hoped that if the Anglican church provided enough pews, fewer people would fail to attend church. A condition of the funding was that 700 free sittings should be provided. (Often when new churches were built, the pews were rented out to local residents to provide income to the parish). The rest of the cost was raised by private subscription.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW