The Cemetery The Castle Union Workhouse General Hospital Holy Trinity Church St Alban's Church Black Boy School Cotswold Playhouse Wesley Chapel/Salvation Army Old Meeting Chapel
HB The Cemetery by kind permission of Howard Beard
What: 6 acre plot allocated for burial grounds in 1850s
Where: GL5 1HL   Bisley Road
Then: The grounds were to be divided into three areas: one for Church of England burials, one for non-conformists and one for paupers.
Now: Many well-known Stroud citizens are buried here. 

In 1854, the burial grounds in Stroud had become insufficient in size and dangerous to health, and with the threat that they would be closed by the Government, a new cemetery had to be created.

A site of 6 acres was purchased from Joseph Watts for £756. A pair of chapels (one Anglican and the other non-conformist), with a single spire, and the entrance lodge were designed and built by Messrs. Baker & Son for £2,800. The paths were laid out and shrubs and flower beds planted to the design of William Foster.

 A study of the cemetery, which the Town Council used for their leaflet, has been undertaken by Stroud Local History Society.

 From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW