Stratford Park/Museum in the Park Stratford Mill/Tesco Supermarket Stratford Abbey Stratford Lodge Leisure Centre Stroud College



Purpose built college
Where: On the Stratford Road
Then:  The Technical College moved here from the School of Science and Art in Lansdown.
The new technical college opened in Stratford Road in 1954. A new building replaced the 1950s college in 2007.

The Technical College had its origins in the Stroud School of Art established in the High Street in 1860, which moved to the impressive School of Science and Art building in Lansdown from 1898. In due course, the Lansdown building proved far too small, and the Technical College eventually occupied rooms in eight different buildings aound the town.In 1951 a new college was planned on the Stratford Road site. The first phase including the engineering block was opened in 1953 and the large 3 storey block in 1954. The Stroud and District Technical College was officially opened on 30 September 1954, by Florence Horsbrugh, Minister of Education.

In 1988 it was renamed Stroud College.After the new build in 2007 houses replaced the 1950s buildings.

It merged with Filton College in 2012 and is now known as South Gloucestershire and Stroud College.


More information about the history of the college

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW