Stratford Park/Museum in the Park Stratford Mill/Tesco Supermarket Stratford Abbey Stratford Lodge Leisure Centre Stroud College
GRO Site of Stratford Abbey IMG 1293
What: Historic Site
Where: GL5 4AG  On the Stratford Road opposite Stratford Park
The original 17th century house was converted to a school in the late 1800s.
Now: The school closed in 1955 and after a number of uses the house was demolished. It is now the site of Tesco petrol station

The original house on this site contained a chimneypiece dated 1699. It was remodelled in the Tudor style in the 19th century, probably for John Biddell of Stratford Mill (d.1863). In 1869, his son, Sidney Biddell, sold the house to Miss R.S. Isacke, the headmistress of a school at Roxborough House, Nelson Street, Stroud. She moved the school to Stratford Abbey and renamed it Stratford Abbey College.In 1955, the school closed and the house was sold to Messrs. Townsend. It was used for various activities, including making cartoon films by Anson Dyer. In 1961, the house was demolished and the site was used as a car park for Townsends. It was fairly near the road, roughly where the pedestrian entrance to Tesco’s is now.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW