St Paul's Church Ruscombe
What: Hamlet which runs along the small attractive valley of Ruscombe Brook
Where: Lies between Whiteshill and Randwick
Then: In 1842, Ruscombe farm was the largest in the parish of Stroud with 224 acres and included a Corn mill (Ruscombe Mill). The Farmhouse still stands and is the largest in the village
Now: Today, many new houses have been built between the older cottages

The hamlet of Ruscombe straggles along the western side, and across the northern end, of the attractive small valley of the Ruscombe Brook. Although Ruscombe is first recorded in the mid 14th century, most of the houses date from the late 18th century onwards. Rake End Cottage is dated 1713.

Ruscombe Farmhouse, the largest house in the village, is recorded from 1532, but the present building dates from about 1600. In 1842, the farm comprised 224 acres and was the largest in the western part of Stroud parish. The estate formerly included a corn mill, known as Ruscombe Mill, which was recorded between 1439 and 1728. It probably stood by the pond east of the farmhouse, and had been demolished by 1819.

In the early 19th century, concern for the moral welfare of the inhabitants led to the building of a Congregational chapel in 1828. In 1851, the Congregational chapel was attracting attendances of 200-300 at services, and it developed a strong Sunday School tradition. A new Sunday School was built in 1934, next to the chapel.

A day school was started by the Congregationalists before 1847 and had an attendance of around 100 in 1870. It was closed in 1887, when a new Board school opened at Whiteshill.

In the 20th century, several new houses were inserted among the older cottages.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society